Search engine optimization plays an important role in your marketing strategy. Before going to on-page optimization checklist, let’s see what is on-page optimization. According to MOZ, On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages of a website in order to reach the higher position in search engine result page and earn more web traffic. We consider both the content and HTML source code of a page in the case of On-page optimization. Off-page SEO means things done outside of your website such as creating backlinks, social media shares etc. While On-Page SEO is referring to the enhancements that you can make to your site.
Here are the steps to a perfectly optimized page:
Enhance the visibility with SEO friendly URLs
While modifying a web page, be sure that it uses an SEO friendly URL. That means URL contains keywords. Make your page’s URL short and keyword rich. Shorter URLs rank better in a search engine.
For example, Here is the URL containing the keyword “SEO packages” for the website of “Expressure Business solution”.
The URLs using keywords are good for both search engine and users. For a search engine, it is good to assign SEO values and for users, it is good to establish more trust towards website by making URLs understandable. That means the URL should be shorter, cleaner and easier to read. At the same time make sure you are using the www version of URL if possible and check your Robots.txt file to make sure that your URL (once live) is going to be indexable.
Clean title tags
In the case of on-page optimization, the TITLE TAG is a most important SEO factor. It tells what your page is about. If we are properly using keywords in title tag, our website will reach the higher position in search engine ranking. We should use important keywords in title tag to help the search engine determine what the page is about.
The title tag looks like this in your HTML code: <title>Important Words Go Here </title>
Important points to be noted while we are placing title tags:
- The title tag should be a maximum of 70 characters long (including space)
- Your keywords should be first in your title tag. And you can place least important word last in the title tag.
- Use only pipes (|) to separate keywords in title tag. No other punctuations are used here.
- Keep your important phrases (keywords) short and simple. Leave out the words like “ and, if, but, then” etc.
- If your company name is not the part of the keyword, mention at the end of the title tag. If it is the part of the keyword, put it in the first of title tag.
- Title tag must be different for every page. Don’t duplicate it.
Wrap titles in H1 tag
A site having H1, H2, and H3 tags is likely to rank better than a similar site without heading tags. From all of these H1 tags is the most important tag and it should contain a relevant keyword.
The H1 tag is your headline tag, so your title must be wrapped around this tag. The purpose of H tags is to make readable to Google how the content is structured. There are subheadings which are H2, H3, up to H6. We have to notice the headings and subheadings of your content and utilize the same principles that you would for title tags. H1 tag should not be placed more than one in a page. And H1 tag uses keywords naturally.
Proper Meta Tag Descriptions
A meta description is a small text that describes a page’s content. Its purpose is to explain to search engines what a page is about. Meta tags give search engines a summary of web pages. Meta descriptions are HTML attributes that provide explanations of the contents of web pages. Search engines usually use the meta description to describe pages. On meta description, we have to include keywords. There is a limit for meta description on a search engine. The meta description is often truncated after 1840 pixels. Sometimes, Google will select a piece of text from the page instead if it deems it more relevant.
Optimization of Content
Your content is an important factor of your site. Because it tells all about your website. Use natural language in content and try to aim for a lengthier content piece if you can. When it comes to SEO, longer posts perform better. Longer posts attract more backlinks than shorter ones, which will increase the page authority and position in the search engine rankings.
When we are going to optimize a page, it’s about finding the right balance between word count and value offered. At the same time, we have to focus on the relevancy of the content. Good quality content influences the overall SEO services of a website. Be sure that your content is free of spelling and grammatical errors. The most important SEO factor for creating good content is good keyword research. The content should contain important keywords because the content should be created primarily for the users. So we have to use keywords that are typed by search engine users.
Optimization of Images and Videos
If you’re using images on your web pages, make sure the following thing:
- They are relevant to the content
- They are attractive
- They are using relevant alt text and captions.
When uploading images, we have to optimize alt text. These are text alternative to images which Google reads to learn about the Image. Search engines cannot read the content of an image or video. So the file name is important. the filename should be a description of the image or video content. At the same time, we have to include keywords too.
The basics of using Alt text for SEO
It is a simple bit of HTML code that describes an image that appears on a web page. It provides a semantic description of images for search engines. This can attract additional traffic through Google Images and has a positive impact on SEO. Alt text contributes to improved SEO performance.
Here are some points to be noted while using alt text for images:
- Keep the text short: Just mention what is taking place in the image.
- Mention about the topic of the page in alt text: It is the best way of telling Google the topic of the page. So it provides an extra boost in search rankings. Make to ensure that the alt attribute is relevant to the particular image.
- Avoid keyword stuffing:
Take a look at “KEYWORD STUFFING”. Keyword stuffing is the practice of including a large number of keywords into Web page content and meta tags to artificially increase a website’s ranking in search engine. But keyword stuffing is considered as unethical SEO technique. Keyword stuffing in content is known as spamdexing. According to Google keyword stuffing is considered unethical and ineffective. So Google’s dislike for keyword stuffing extends to alt text as well. It is to be avoided at all costs.
4. Be precise in alt text for products: Alt text should precisely describe the product within the image so that it shows up in relevant searches.
5. Test your images: To check whether you have included alt text for all the images on your website, try out a handy free tool Feed the Bot
If you want your video to be easily understood and indexed, follow these steps:
- Video title should be short and include targeted keywords.
- Accurately describe the topic of your video by using primary and secondary keywords throughout the text.
- Your thumbnail is a deciding factor in whether or not someone watches your video.
- If you’re including a video in a blog post or other pages, make sure it’s relevant to the content.
Ease of Navigation:
Easy navigation helps not only the visitors but also the search engines to find and understand the relevant contents. A sitemap is a file where you can list the web pages of your site to tell Google and other search engines about the organization of your site content. Search engine web crawlers are reading this file to more intelligently crawl your site.
Add Internal Links
There are two types of links playing a major role in SEO. One is Backlinks and the other is Internal links. Backlinks are the pillars of search engine optimization. Here we are discussing Internal links. Internal links are links included in one page which leads to other pages in your website and make sure that each link is used in a natural, relevant way.
Internal linking requires its own strategy:
- Category level – A link to the related category should be included on each page or post
- Each post – every post should include multiple links to related content.
- Sitemap – an HTML sitemap will help Google crawl your site more efficiently and link to various pages of your site.
9. Add Outbound Link:
The outbound signal is a relevancy signal that helps Google to figure out your page’s topic. Outbound Links shows that you are adding value for the readers by linking out to useful resources.
Boost site speed
According to Google, the page speed is used as ranking signal. You can boost your site speed by using a CDN (content delivery network), compressing images, and switching to faster hosting.
CDN: Content Delivery Network takes off the load from your service and supercharges your website performance. When a visitor comes to your website, it uploads the content from the closest server.
Add Social sharing buttons
By adding social sharing buttons we can distribute the content to multiple platforms, which are used to send signals to search engines. When SEO combines with Social media it becomes a perfect match to increase web traffic.
Published by SEO services Kerala