Ranking for the wrong page?
You did SEO the right way and your site has started ranking in the search engine result pages. But what if it is not the best page that is ranking for your keyword?
Now, for your information, this is a common situation. So don’t panic and let’s see how to deal with the corresponding scenario.
The first thing is to determine the keywords that are sending you the most traffic and pages that are receiving the greater number of traffic. Tools like Google search console/webmaster tools and Google analytics can be used in finding these. If you see that certain queries are sending traffic to URLs that you don’t prefer then you should probably prioritize the following process.
Determine the underlying issue
The reason your site not ranking the best possible page for the query could be:
- The absence of an appropriate page with good contents that answers the query. So if that’s the case, considering creating a page with suitable contents for the query.
- The relevant page could be having indexing/crawling/content/link issues. Problems with crawling could be that you have blocked the page with robot.txt. Content related issues come when the content itself is created in formats like images or java scripts that are not crawlable by robots. The content you have on your page could be plagiarized or something that Google finds irrelevant. It could also be a link issue meaning the absence of many internal and external links pointing to that page to make it valuable.
- The ranking ability of the page is engulfed by another page. It could be because the wrongly ranked page would be rich in contents related to the search term and have a good link structure. So you have to fix the page rankability to get it indexed and ranked.
Create and/or promote the relevant page
- You should strongly consider creating a relevant page for the search query if you don’t have one already on your site. You should then promote the page on search engine. Create quality contents and optimize it well with keywords and related terms. The contents should be unique and valuable.
- Internal link structure should be built well. Take a note to create relevant links to and from the page internally.
- A page could also perform based on it user and usage data. If Google finds another page doing well with users, then it would consider that page more significant compared to the pages. So bring more visitors to the page and hold their attention.
- External links pointing to the page in comparison to the ranked page may be not much relevant and of low quality. So build external links from relevant sites with good DA and PA.
Published by the best SEO experts in Kerala.